Ingredients for the Sauteed Potatoes
– 5 to 7 medium sized Yukon Gold potatoes (but any kind of potato that holds well together after boiling will work, I just like the taste and texture of Yukon Gold). That’s about 1.5 to 2 lbs.
– olive oil
– salt to taste
– fresh ground black pepper to taste
– clean the potatoes
– place the potatoes with the skin on in a 2 quarts pan (or bigger) with enough cold water so that all the potatoes are under water, and bring to a boil
– boil for 20-30 minutes (this part really depends on the potatoes and their size, so using potatoes roughly the same size helps) till a pointy knife can go through a potato without much resistance, but before the skin starts to crack and peel off.
– place a generous amount of olive oil in a large frying pan and heat on medium high. You want the potatoes to absorb some of that oil, but not too much!
– cool down the potatoes under cold running water
– if still too hot to peel, let them rest for a little while, then peel
– cut the potatoes in roughly 1 inch cubes (no need to be too exact here)
– once the oil is hot (but not smoking!), start placing the potatoes in one single layer (don’t use more potatoes that can fit in that single layer, so use a second pan if needed)
– every 3-4 minutes turn the potatoes so each side gets a chance to brown and get a nice golden color
– the whole process should take about 10-15 minutes.
– if you are not quite ready to heat, you can turn the heat to low and keep them warm for a little while
This recipe goes great with a grilled meat, sausages, or dried meats like prosciutto.